George Melachrino never was quite as bold and brassy as those of his contemporaries who tend to be featured in collections of Lounge or Space-Age Pop music. His records are much more tame and, perhaps, stuffy than most by such as Nelson Riddle and George Shearing.
When I was a kid there was a radio station in our market that broadcast music such as this. They would play Perry Como but not Dean Martin, 101 Strings but not The Hollyridge Strings, and Roger Miller but not Jimmy Smith. Station personnel didn't use words like Swing, Hot or Cool on the air. What they played never strayed from a very narrow path. What they played they called Beautiful Music.
And that's exactly what this is. Lush, lovely and wholly unoffensive, this music is where Easy Listening's reputation as "Background" or "Elevator" music came from. These days, though, I find it soothing, nostalgiac, and even unusual in that there is nothing exactly like it still being produced. Sometimes I don't want my music to be too exciting or too challenging. Sometimes I just wanna sit down and eat dinner and be made to feel comfortable. That's what Beautiful Music does best.
How to enjoy these records:
Prepare your favorite tuna salad. Spread over split English muffins or
two slices of bread. Top with slices of cheese, and place on tray in broiler until cheese melts.
Prepare a beverage of your choice.
Start music.
Sit down.
Shut up.
Eat and Enjoy.

The Melachrino Strings and Orchestra: Music for Dining
Diane (I'm in Heaven When I See You Smile)
Too Young
September Song
Chopin Clopant
Warsaw Concerto
Domino
Tenderly
Charmaine
Faithfully Yours
Chansonette
Dark Secret
Legend of the Glass Mountain

The Melachrino Strings and Orchestra: More Music for Dining
Dream / Melody in F
You Are Too Beautiful
Ruby
Ramona
Blue Moon
L'Amour Toulours L'Amour (Love Everlasting)
Easy to Love
Musetta's Waltz Song
Gigi
Stars in My Eyes
These Foolish Things
Always
These were from a series of albums by The Melachrino Strings and Orchestra called "Moods in Music." Others included Music for Relaxation, Music for Reading, Music for Courage and Confidence, Music to Help You Sleep, Music for Two People Alone, Music for Daydreaming and Music to Work or Study By.
http://rapidshare.com/files/26063525/fordining.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/26072046/moredining.zip

